When your stomach (and/or intestines) becomes filled with gas and is not expelled, you will experience distention. What is “Distention”? Per MedicineNet.Com it means “The state of being distended, enlarged, swollen from internal pressure”. For me, I can easily expand 4 pant sizes due to bloating after something I ate or drank that my gastroparesis tummy did not like.
What Causes Bloating / Distention?
- Swallowing Air
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Celiac Diseas
- Dumping Syndrome
- Food Allergy (such as milk or gluten products)
- Bacteria over growth (stomach or intestines)
- Acid Reflux (GERD)
- Medications: some diabetic medications, narcotics and diarrhea medications.
- Supplements: Multivitamins, calcium supplements and iron pills.
- Hormone changes
- Being bed ridden
- Carbohydrates (that do not properly digest)
What Foods / Drinks Should I Avoid?
- Carbonated beverages – to minimize the air going into your stomach
- Excess Salty Foods
- Sugarless drinks/food (Sorbitol)
- Beans and Lentils
- Brussels sprouts
- Wheat Bread
- Chamomile and Peppermint Tea
- Cinnamon infused water (boiled and cooled) add Honey and drink
- Lemon Juice after a meal (do not try this if you have GERD)
- Turmeric – breaks down proteins
- Fennel Seed or Tea
- Clove or Eucalyptus Oil (Tea)
- Cardamom and Ginger – work by stabilizing stomach acids
- Carom Seeds – fights stomach bacteria
- Chew Basil or Mint leaf after a meal
- Take a walk
- Take a bath with: lavender, rosemary, thyme and tree oil
- Charcoal pills
- Heat pad on your stomach
FODMAP Friendly Foods to Relieve Gas
From our friends at FODMAP Life
6 FODMAP Friendly Foods to Relieve Gas.
GP Community Recommends The Following: I have not tried any of these products and do not receive any personal gain from placing them on my blog. They are simply listed as suggestions for YOU to look into to help your bloating and distention issues. As always, read the manufacture label for any allergies you may have and seek doctor or pharmacist consultation to verify any product will effect your current medications.
- Papaya Enzymens – I recommend you read an article on LiveStrong.Com, “Papaya Enzyme Dosage” (Jul 5, 2011 | By Karyn Maier) for more information. Click HERE. They advise that papaya can lead to miscarriages as well as effecting blood sugar levels. Also “How to Use Papaya Enzymes for Gas” (Feb 12, 2011 | By Maura Banar) Click HERE. This suggests to contact your doctor first, since Papaya Enzymes can interfere with some medications and lists a few possible side effects.
- Iberogast — mix of 9 herbs. Click HERE for more information by Wikipedia (search ‘Iberogast). Following is a link to Iberogast’s web-site: http://www.iberogast.ca/about-iberogast/
- Physiologics Zygest – “contains multiple enzymes designed to serve as biological catalysts for the breakdown of macronutrients” per the Physiologics web-site. Click HERE for more information.
- “Bloat” search term in: Dictionary.Com. Link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bloating
- University of Maryland Medical Center (updated May 2013), “Abdominal Bloating” found at: http://umm.edu/health/medical/ency/articles/abdominal-bloating
- WebMd.Com, “Medicines or Vitamins That Can Cause Gas, Bloating, or Burping” (7-12-2011 last edited), found at: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/medicines-or-vitamins-that-can-cause-gas-bloating-or-burping
- Grandmashomeremedies.com, “Home Remedies for Bloating” found at: http://www.grandmashomeremedies.com/bloating.html
- Home-remedies-for-you.com, “Gas and Bloating Remedies” found at: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/health-tips/gas-bloating-remedies.html
- Livestrong.com, “Home Remedies for Bloating” (Mar 23, 2010 | By Heather Topham Wood) found at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/92322-home-remedies-bloating/
- Askhomeremedies.com, “Home Remedies For Bloating, Natural Remedies” found at: http://www.askhomeremedies.com/remedy/home-remedies-for-bloating.htm
- The last link I had on here (a Natural Home Remedies type of site) had to be removed according to WordPress, as it was a high spam web-site. Just wanted to warn you all!
Original Post By MelissaGPfight.wordpress.com